A classic Japanese green tea with a daring blend of 80% roasted rice and 20% first harvest green tea from Kyoto. The bold aroma and nutty flavor of the roasted rice blends with the sweet umami and complex tannins of the green tea for a refined balance and savory aftertaste.
50g (Loose Tea)
Product of Japan
Tea Amount: 1 teaspoon (5g)
Water Amount: 1.1 oz (30ml)
Water Temperature: 140°F or below
Steeping time: 2 minutes
1. Pour boiling water into a small size teapot and cups to warm them (Gyokuro is best savored with small tea pots and cups).
2. Pour 1.1 oz of boiling water into a separate cooling vessel (yuzamashi) and cool to 140°F or below.
3. Discard the water from your teapot and put in 5g / 1 teaspoon of tea leaves into your teapot.
4. When the water in the cooling vessel has cooled to 140°F or below, pour the water into your teapot.
5. Infuse for 2 minutes.
6. Discard the warming water from your tea cups and pour the tea while alternating between both tea cups to ensure even strength. The color of the tea in both cups should be even. Pour all the tea from the teapot, waiting until the very last drop falls. By infusing this way, you will be able to enjoy up to 3 infusions of the same leaves.
7. Ensure you cool the water to 140°F or below before the second and third infusions. As the tea leaves open on the first infusion, there is no need to wait before pouring the tea on the second and third infusions. Simply pour the water into the teapot, then pout the tea into the tea cups within moments.